Gov. Walz Extends Restrictions into the New Year
Governor Tim Walz announced today that his restrictions on bars and restaurants will be extended through the holidays and into January as he attempts to slow the spread of COVID-19.
The Governor banned indoor dining, closed gyms, and put a stop to youth sports in November, and that "pause" was set to expire on Friday
During a press conference on Wednesday, December 16, Walz unveiled his updated plan, Executive Order 20-103.
- Elementary schools will be able to choose if they want to hold in-person classes or not. According to the updated Safe Learning Plan, this will be dependent on if they can implement additional mitigation strategies.
- Outdoor dining services can be offered at up to 50% capacity, up to 100 people from 10 p.m. - 4 a.m.
- Gyms and fitness centers will be able to reopen at 25% capacity, up to 100 people.
- Practices for adult and youth sports will be able to resume on January 4
- Outdoor entertainment venues can open at 25%, up to 100 people.
- Indoor entertainment venues will remain closed until at least January 11.
Walz's updated plan is slated to begin after 11:59 p.m. on Friday, December 18.