top of page

Mustangs Fall Just Short in Home Opener

Mora's football team hosted Grand Rapids on Friday night.

Mora began the game with the ball and swiftly moved downfield into Thunderhawk territory. They fumbled on a 2nd down but recovered to keep the drive alive, but the next play saw another fumble land in the hands of Grand Rapids. The Thunderhawks wasted no time flying down the field scoring for 17 yards out. Once Mora got the ball back they again had no problem getting into the Grand Rapids side of the field. As the 1st quarter came to an end Mora was inching closer and closer to the endzone. Mora took over 4 minutes off the clock in the 2nd quarter before Avery Nelson threw to Connor Gmahl in the corner of the endzone to tie the game. The Thunderhawks wasted no time breaking the tie, as two plays after the ensuing kickoff they ran in other touchdown this one from 69 yards out. After converting the 2 points they lead 14-6. Mora had the ball with a chance to tie the game but the Grand Rapids defense prevented them from getting close enough to sniff the goal line. As the half was winding down the Thunderhawks found themselves in the endzone again. This one a 58 yard passing score to put them up 20-6 at half.

After halftime Mora was able to make a stop on defense and give the ball back to their offense. The offense would not squander this opportunity as they marched downfield. Their O-line bullied the defense as the back found the lanes and cruised through them. Connor Gmahl would score again this time punching it in from 2 yards out. They would not convert the 2 and trailed by 8. The Mora defense yet again got the job done and stalled out the Grand Rapids offense. As the 3rd quarter neared its end the Mustangs had marched the ball past the 50 again. The 4th quarter began with the Mustangs inside the Thunderhawk 5 yard line. Gmahl would get the carry on a 4th and goal and manage to cross the goal line and now sat 2 points behind. Nelson would find Bennett Pierson for the 2 point conversion to tie the game at 20. It seemed as if Mora stole all momentum and Grand Rapids had no way to grab any of it back. But their offense found a way, as they marched down the field quickly and soon scored taking the lead 26-20 after missing the 2 point conversion. The Mustangs had plenty of time to put something together and try and tie the game. But Mora's offense stalled and gave the ball back to Grand Rapids. Mora's defense needed but one stop to get the ball back for one last chance. But an offsides penalty on 4th down gave Rapids a new set of downs which ended the game.

Mora falls to 0-1 on the season but has to be very encouraged by what they saw on Friday night. Mora will travel up to Esko on Friday.

12 views0 comments


bottom of page